Thursday, March 24, 2016

Sonic Overload 3/14/16--16th Anniversary Show

16 years on the air and it’s time for a celebration—17 minutes over the alloted two hours, in fact. I try to do something different each year for the anniversary show and this year it’s “deep cuts.” That’s radio parlance for songs that go beyond the handful of songs that are usually in rotation. The classic rock station will play the same four or five (if that) Steve Miller Band songs, for instance, but rarely go any deeper than that. So I tried to find songs that one doesn’t immediately think of or something I haven’t played for awhile. Yes, this show is self-indulgent, in that I play a lot of well-known bands but I don’t think I’ve picked anything that obvious. I go back beyond the punk era, as well—yes, I played a Led Zep song but one I’m sure doesn’t get as much airplay as “Stairway To Heaven” or “Whole Lotta Love.” And I mix in a set of new records because the idea of this show is not only to dwell on the past but keep people up to date on newer bands.

I also do a tribute to the late Maximum Rocknroll columnist Bruce Roehrs, who passed away 6 years ago today, on March 14, 2010. Someone I wish I’d had a chance to meet in person.

So thanks to everyone who’s supported me over the years, going back to the Allston-Brighton Free Radio days, as well as my compatriots on Stench Radio...
(PS—yes, I know I said the wrong title for the Machine Gun song. Even after 16 years, I still fuck up at times)

Sonic Overload 3/14/16

TRACK 1

STIFF LITTLE FINGERS-Suspect Device (Rough Trade)

LIFE SENTENCE-Punks For Profit (Walkthrufyre) in memory of Eric Brockman
BLACK FLAG-I’ve Got To Run (SST)
NEGATIVE APPROACH-D.A.B.F. (Taang)
CIRCLE JERKS-Stars and Stripes (Faulty Products)
TSOL-Funeral March (Frontier)
DIE KREUZEN-Man In The Trees (Touch and Go)

POLICE-Fallout (A&M)
WIRE-Former Airline (EMI)
MAGAZINE-My Mind Ain’t So Open (Virgin)
X-RAY SPEX-Let’s Submerge (Sanctuary)
ALLEY CATS-Black Haired Girl (from “Sharp Cuts,” Planet)

MACHINE GUN-Enemy (demo)
SLAG-Death Side (Hesitation Wound)
DREGS-Sketch (demo)
POLIO & JULIE-Flygt (Adult Crash)
COMMANDO-Let’s Go Get ‘Em (More Power)

TRACK 2

DAMNED-Politics (Stiff)
CLASH-Protex Blue (CBS)
SAINTS-Run Down (Sire)
BUZZCOCKS-ESP (IRS)

THE JAM-Set The House Ablaze (Polydor)
RUTS-Secret Soldiers (Strange Fruit)
RAMONES-Let’s Go (Sire)

HÜSKER DÜ-Beyond The Threshold (SST)
NAKED RAYGUN-Live Wire (Caroline)
WIPERS-This Time (Zeno)
JESUS LIZARD-Mistletoe (Touch and Go)

TRACK 3

This set is a tribute to Bruce Roehrs

ANTISEEN-Hippy Punk (TKO)
BLITZ-Attack (No Future)
APPENDIX-Itsemurha (Propaganda)
AGNOSTIC FRONT-Society Sucker (Ratcage)
COCK SPARRER-Running Riot (Taang)
13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS-Reverberation (Doubt) (Decal)

LEATHERFACE-Gangparty (BYO)
SWINGIN’ UTTERS-Teen Idol Eyes (TKO)
BIG CHIEF-Cop Kisser (Mack Fucks Up The Scene At The Freezer) (Sub Pop)
SHOWCASE SHOWDOWN-Liberace (Tario)
NEW BOMB TURKS-Lyin’ On Our Backs (Crypt)
HELMET-Impressionable (from “Dope, Guns ‘n Fuckin In The Streets Volumes 4-7,” Amphetamine Reptile)

FOREIGN OBJECTS-Look Around (Vinyl Rites)
NOTS-Static (Goner)
C.AARMÉ-Bodybuilding (Spegel)
FUCKED UP-Color Removal (Deranged)
FORMALDEHYDE JUNKIES-Jesus Christ Vice Grip (Fashionable Idiots)
EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING-Isn’t It Nice (Goner)

TRACK 4

SWEET-Yesterday’s Rain (Capitol)
LED ZEPPELIN-Out On The Tiles (Atlantic)

CONSOLIDATED-White American Male (IRS)
VELVET UNDERGROUND-European Son (Verve)
STOOGES-Not Right (Elektra)

EFFIGIES-We’ll Be Here Tomorrow (Autumn)

No comments:

Post a Comment