Friday, January 29, 2016

Sonic Overload 1/11/16

For the second week in a row, I pay tribute to a musical icon who has passed away. It took me awhile to begin to appreciate David Bowie’s music—that happened in the 80s, although I’d liked songs here and there and was blown away hearing “The Jean Genie” in 1972—or, more accurately, seeing this video of it on a syndicated show. I never dug that deeply into his catalog and so I play my favorites on the show today, with a few alternate takes of songs thrown in, plus some cover versions.

I also pay tribute to Filip Fuchs, who passed away from cancer last week. Filip was from the Czech Republic and had played in a number of bands over the years, including See You In Hell and Mrtva Budoucnost. He also ran a record label and had written a book on Czech hardcore and contributed to zines, including Maximum Rocknroll. I finally got to meet Filip in 2011 when See You In Hell made it to Boston. He has a big smile in every picture I took of him during their set and you could tell he was having the time of his life. I’m glad I had the chance to meet him in person. R.I.P.

Sorry this show is so late—life gets in the way, sometimes.

Sonic Overload 1/11/16

TRACK 1

A tribute to David Bowie

Width of a Circle (live at the BBC)

Queen Bitch (RCA)
John, I’m Only Dancing (Ryko)
Hang On To Yourself (RCA)
Suffragette City (RCA)

All The Young Dudes (with Mott The Hoople) (Columbia)
Panic In Detroit (RCA)
Jean Genie (RCA)
Look Back In Anger (RCA)

TRACK 2

SEE YOU IN HELL-Utok (Not Very Nice) in memory of Filip Fuchs
SEE YOU IN HELL-Lode (Not Very Nice)
SEE YOU IN HELL-Podivej (SPHC)
MAD PIGS-Ve Svym Svete (Voltage)
MRTVÁ BUDOUCNOST-Jaderná Vize (Papagáj?v Hlasatel)

CEMETERY-Worms (Mass Media)
RAKTA-Tudo Que e Solido (540)
RULETA RUSA-Divina Providencia (Trabuc)
MUNDO MUERTO-Ni Dios, Ni Patria (Charged//Distorted)

LOLLIPOP-Slow Drip (Amphetamine Reptile)
LORD HIGH FIXERS-Poppa Hoodoo (Scooch Pooch)
CYNICS-Baby, What’s Wrong? (Get Hip)
STUMP WIZARDS-Reel to Reel (Get Hip)

TRACK 3

DOCTOR MIX AND THE REMIX-The Supermen (Rough Trade)
CLIT 45-Cracked Actor (BYO)
LET IT BURN-Hang On To Yourself (Coalition)

NEUTRAL FIXATION-9th Fixation (Tampered Reels)
WACO FUCK-Drums First (Standards)
CONTAMINATORS-III (Going Underground)
CRUELSTER-Release My Body (Turbine Piss)
DAGGER EYES-Smash (P.Trash)
STRUTTER-Lunch Lady (demo)

NIHILISTICS-Black Sheep (Brain Eater)
HÜSKER DÜ-Real World (SST)
THE FREEZE-Sickly Sweet (Modern Method)
POISON IDEA-Give It Up (Fatal Erection)
BLACK FLAG-My War (demo)

TRACK 4

JOINT D?-False Flag (Sorry State)
SOVIET VALVES-Crossover Angst (Vertex)
EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING-You Let Me Be Honest With You (Goner)
DIVORCED-Furniture Removal Machine (Untapped Resources)
BROWN SUGAR-Deportation (Feral Kid)

HALO OF FLIES-No Time (Amphetamine Reptile)
GG ALLIN-Drink, Fight and Fuck (Blood)
ROTTERS-Sit On My Face, Stevie Nicks (Dionysus)
DISHRAGS-I Don’t Love You (from “Vancouver Complication,” Southern Death)
THE CURSE-Shoeshine Boy (Other People’s Music)
HOWARD WERTH-Obsolete (Dangerhouse)

DAVID BOWIE-Heroes (Ryko)

No comments:

Post a Comment